Mellow baby

This week will be my 29th (hello, third trimester!) and supposedly the time when baby's movements will become more regular and/or recognizable. Now, I'm usually not one to worry about what goes on in there, but lately I can't help but be concerned because, well, my little guy is so quiet!

A few weeks ago I remember feeling very distinct, very regular movements - baby would kick and swish around at about the same time each day (especially after mealtimes) and would always make sure to jab me in the ribs at least once a night. Now I'm lucky if I feel a little shove every two days or so!

I don't mean to worry (especially when everything else seems to be just fine), but I still can't help but wonder why he's so quiet. Some people have reassured me that it's all just part of his temperament (not all babies are regular kickboxers on the inside), but almost all the expectant mommies I know have the reassurance of constant activity.

Another worry I have is whether or not I should be starting "kick counts". My OB mentioned that a good time to start them would be after 26 weeks, but... baby's been so quiet and inconsistent that if I did start counting his movements right now, I'd only end up stressing myself out even more.

What's a paranoid first-time mother to do?

The answer is simple: rent a baby doppler online.

Early on in my pregnancy I swore I wouldn't turn to a doppler for reassurance - after all, my doctor's appointments are only 4 weeks apart and baby's movements should be enough to keep me confident, right? - but... I finally gave in last night because this mommy-worry is just too much to handle.

The way I figure it, so long as I can keep an ear out for baby's heartbeat and make sure that it falls within a normal range, I won't have to fret so much about whether nor not his movements (or lack thereof) are a cause for concern.

On the other hand, my mother brought up the possibility that baby might just be too cramped for regular movement. After all, he's been measuring large for his age since around 8 weeks and he could just be running out of space a little early. I just hope that everything's okay and he's not in any sort of danger or discomfort... I've only spent the past, oh, 7 months trying to make the best environment for him. ♥

No comments: